If you’re a pilates instructor, you know that it requires various hours of training, skill, balance, strength, and so much more. Pilates is an appealing form of low intensity exercise because it provides a way for students to improve their posture, get an awesome core workout, strengthen muscles, and focus on body alignment.
Pilates instructors, like other professionals, require some sort of insurance to do what they love with peace of mind. Today we’ll walk you through the ins and outs of pilates liability insurance, so you can understand the coverage that you need to help your business thrive.
COMMON PILATES CLAIMS
You may be thinking that you can get by just fine without insurance. Or maybe you don’t understand the need for pilates liability insurance. Any sort of physical injury that may happen while performing pilates exercises could result in harm to the students—like pulled muscles, sprains, throwing out a back, etc. Perhaps while you’re teaching a class, a student does the scissor move incorrectly and strains their back; they can hold you liable for any injury caused by your teaching.
These types of injuries could also lead to secondary issues like loss of work or income (can’t perform their job anymore), impaired mobility (can’t use a car to get somewhere important), and further injuries at home (fall down the stairs), etc. However, remember that a pilates liability insurance policy would also insure for General Liability issues that don’t involve exercising, like tripping over something in your studio or a slip and fall accident in the parking lot outside your studio.
PILATES LIABILITY INSURANCE BASIC COVERAGE
At Insurance Canopy, we provide liability insurance to several fitness instructors, pilates instructors being one of them. Pilates instructor insurance starts at $129 per year, or $12.50 per month. This price includes the following coverage:
- General and Professional Liability Aggregate Limit of $3,000,000. General liability insurance protects you against lawsuits and property damages. Professional liability protects you against clients who file claims against you under the complaint that they were injured or harmed by your negligence while you were providing your service.
- Product and Completed Operations Aggregate Limit of $3,000,000. This is the maximum amount that will be paid out for property damage claims or bodily injury that result from your products that you use during your service.
- Personal and Advertising Injury.If someone makes claims of false arrest or there is detention or imprisonment, violations of the right to privacy, malicious prosecution, etc., you have coverage in place.
- Occurrence Limit of $2,000,000. If a client attempts to sue you, your insurance policy will cover up to $2 million per claim.
- Damage to Premises Rented To You Limit of $300,000.If you rent a studio or any other space, you would have coverage in the event of a fire or other damage. This is specifically for spaces occupied by you for seven or less days when you are legally liable for the damages.
ADDITIONAL COVERAGE OPTIONS
Now that we have covered what’s included in a basic pilates liability insurance policy, we’ll talk about additional coverage that can be added on, depending on your business operations and structure.
Tools and Equipment
For an additional $16 per year, you can purchase Tools and Equipment Coverage. This means that you have protection for your pilates equipment in case any of it gets damaged or stolen. The limit for this coverage is $2,000, which means Insurance Canopy will only pay up to $2,000 in replacement equipment.
You also have the option to add additional insureds to your pilates instructor insurance. This option allows you to add property management or HOA’s to your insurance policy so they can receive protection if they are named in a suit due to a covered business-related loss or claim you have caused. Typically, you might be required to list your studio or gym owner onto your policy to practice there. This option allows you to meet these requirements. The cost for this is $15 for each additional insured, or $30 for an unlimited amount of additional insureds.
QUICK AND SIMPLE
Purchasing pilates liability insurance from Insurance Canopy is easy. You can fill out an application online in less than ten minutes. If you have any questions about the above information or your application, feel free to reach out to one of our licensed insurance agents.
GET INSURED TODAY
We know that as a trained pilates instructor, you do your best to keep your students safe. However, accidents do happen and when they do, you’ll be grateful that you have pilates liability insurance. Do what you love with peace of mind, knowing that when those accidents happen, you won’t have to pay hefty out-of-pocket expenses. Get insured today with Insurance Canopy.