THE LOPRESTI FAMILY CASE
William LoPresti and his two young daughters dined at a Kennesaw restaurant and ordered the Caesar salad. The girls began to experience negative symptoms two days later. One local news article stated:
“Both girls had a fever and started experiencing severe abdominal cramping, vomiting, and bloody diarrhea.”The daughters required medical attention and tested positive for E.coli. LoPresti sued for the damages, due to medical expenses.
HOW RESTAURANT OWNERS CAN AVOID IMPROPER FOOD SAFETY PRACTICESImproper food safety practices can not only make or break your business from the resulting bad PR fallout and financial repercussions from lawsuits, but they can cause irreparable harm to your customers, including death. Did you know the CDC estimates that 128,000 Americans go to the hospital because of a foodborne illness, and nearly 3,000 die yearly?
The top health code violations in restaurants are:
Time and TemperatureKeep cold foods below 40° F and hot foods above 140° F. Anything between these temperatures is the Temperature Danger Zone and no food should be within the TDZ for more than four hours.
Food StorageKeep items from contaminating other items, particularly chicken while in storage. Keep similar items above and below each other and store in this order from top to bottom:
- Raw Vegetables
- Cooked Vegetables
- Cooked Meats
- Cooked Seafood
- Raw Seafood
- Raw Beef
- Raw Pork
- Raw Chicken
Cross ContaminationUse separate cutting boards and implement a hand-washing process when switching between types of foods. Only use the proper utensils for each item and don’t use one utensil for different types of items.
Personal SanitationHepatitis is one of the primary concerns in the food industry and washing hands may not eradicate it from the skin. Hand washing should be done with anti-bacterial soap and hot water, up to the elbows and under the nails with a nail brush for 20 seconds. Cooks and chefs should wear clean uniforms or clothing that are washed daily.
Chemical Use and StorageUnderstand how to properly sanitize surfaces and properly label cleaning solutions. An improperly labeled lye bottle caused one Utah woman severe esophageal burns when a food worker mistakenly added the lye to her drink.