In 2021, more than 5,000 fitness trainers turned to Insurance Canopy for their liability needs. But what exactly is athletic trainer liability insurance?
Having an understanding of what your policy is and what it can do for you is vital in understanding your protection, limits, and more. From costs to coverages, we answered some of the most common insurance questions athletic trainers have.
What Is Athletic Trainer Liability Insurance?
Athletic trainer liability coverage is a type of insurance plan that can cover the costs of claims involving slip-and-fall accidents, bodily injury, property damage, and more. It can also help you repair or replace damaged or stolen equipment you use to train athletes if you choose to add tools and equipment coverage.
Because athletes train at a higher intensity, they can be more susceptible to serious injuries. You also may be helping an athlete recover from a previous injury, so you have to be careful as to not injure them any further. If an athlete is injured under your direction, you can face some costly consequences.
What Does Athletic Trainer Liability Insurance Cover?
Athletic trainer liability coverage with Insurance Canopy starts with a base plan composed of general and professional liability policies. It also includes other policies, as well as additional endorsements you can add on to your plan.
Below are the policies athletic trainers insurance can include and what they cover.
What you get
- General liability, which can protect your business from the cost of third-party bodily injury claims, property damage claims, and more, such as an athlete tripping over a weight in your training area.
- Professional liability, also known as errors and omissions, can cover injuries an athlete may sustain while training with you.
- Products and completed operations, for any fitness products you may use with athletes during their workouts or give them to take home.
- Damage to premises rented to you, which can include accidental damages from fires.
- Personal and advertising injuries, in the case of infringements such as libel, slander, and copyrights against you or your business.
- Medical expense limit, a policy that can help you cover medical or funeral expenses for incidents caused by your business operations.
What you can add
- Tools and equipment, to help you replace stolen weights or damaged mats.
- Cyber liability, in the case of a cyber attack or phishing scam.
If you receive a claim, your insurance can also help you cover some of the additional costs that come with a claim. These can include legal fees, medical bills, lost wages, and the cost to repair or replace damaged or stolen property.
How Much Does Athletic Trainer Liability Insurance Cost?
Insurance Canopy’s athletic trainer insurance starts at $12.50 a month, or $129 annually. If you prefer to pay a one time price for year-round coverage, you can save 14% with the annual policy. The final policy cost may adjust depending on the type of coverages you select, allowing you to only pay for the coverage you need.
You can get a free insurance quote online in just 10 minutes or less, and enjoy same day coverage. With our online application, you can choose when your policy starts and instantaneously receive access to your policy documents.
Do I Need To Be Insured As An Athletic Trainer?
In short, YES! Handling accidents is part of being a fitness instructor. Having athletic trainer liability insurance is there to help you navigate through a claim and ease the financial burden. Not to mention, it brings peace of mind knowing you have a plan for claims and people who can help answer your questions.
Additionally, many locations you train at will require you to show proof of insurance and list them as an additional insured on your policy. This helps to protect yourself and the facility owners if you are named in a lawsuit. Our coverage can extend to those who train outside of a gym, such as online, in homes, at private studios, during events, at athletic centers, in medical facilities, and more.
Having insurance isn’t just a good idea—it’s an investment that helps your business grow. So, what are you waiting for? Get a free quote with Insurance Canopy today, and join the thousands of fitness instructors who are training with us.
Note: Insurance Canopy does not insure athletic trainers who are affiliated with organized sports or athletic teams, such as community or school sports teams, collegiate level athletics, or professional sports teams. We can insure trainers who work with a variety of athletes as clients such as in a gym, as a private trainer who works one-on-one with different athletes, or who trains in a medical environment like a hospital or physical therapy center.